Friday, April 18, 2014

Subway Adds Gluten Free Offerings to More Locations

February 16, 2012 by
Filed under News

Subway has been testing gluten free deli style rolls and brownies since January 2011, and is now in about 900 locations. The gluten free sandwiches and brownies are now are offered in the areas of Dallas and Tyler, Texas, Tacoma, Washington, and are now expanding to the areas of Duluth, Minnesota and Superior, Wisconsin. They have also expanded the gluten free offerings to all of Oregon after testing in the Portland area.

Executives at the chain claim to understand the tricky issues of cross contamination and insist they are not adding gluten free options to boost their bottom line, and are committed to providing a safe gluten free dining experience.

According to Alicia Kelso, to help avoid cross contamination: “once a gluten-free roll or brownie is ordered, the line staff is required to wipe down the entire counter and get rid of any crumbs in the vicinity. They’re then to wash their hands and change their gloves. The gluten-free rolls and brownies are pre-packaged on fresh deli paper, and a single-use, pre-packaged knife is used for cutting.” (QSR.com)

“The gluten-free sandwich is taken from order to point-of-sale by the same person, as opposed to being passed down the line in the traditional Subway format. Customers are able to watch the creation from start to finish.”

“If they don’t like what they see, they can start it over. It’s important that our customers feel comfortable and safe,” Christiano said. “We want to provide them with a place to eat where they don’t have to worry about that.”

The company has not revealed the supplier of the buns, but they are rumored to be provided by Rich’s Foodservice out of New York (Their gluten-free products are certified by the GFCO as gluten, dairy, lactose and casein free.) IF this is the sandwich roll being used, you can see the ingredients here.

As far as toppings go, all are listed as gluten free except the meatballs and chicken teriyaki. The gluten free bun adds $1 to the cost of a sandwich.

Have you tried one of the Subway gluten free products? What did you think? Leave a comment below.

Comments

73 Responses to “Subway Adds Gluten Free Offerings to More Locations”
  1. Kathy Gammill says:

I think this is an incredible awesome thing you are all doing.. when is it coming to Nashville, TN area?? SOON I hope..

2. Julie Copley says:

When will gluten free bread be coming to Australian subways?

3. Neelam says:

Wow…when is it coming to India…it would be blessing for my kids..waitinggggg

4. Debbie says:

Oklahoma please!!!!!

5. saltshaker128 says:

PLEASE COME TO TULSA, OK NEXT! WE’RE DESPERATELY IN NEED OF THIS SERVICE TO THIS COMMUNITY! WE HAD TO QUIT EATING OUT BECAUSE OF GLUTEN ALLERGY AND WE USED TO EAT SUBWAY QUITE OFTEN UNTIL WE GOT TOO SICK! PLEASE COME TO TULSA NEXT! [I'M BEGGING, CAN YOU TELL?]

6. Ash says:

Oh but I thought gluten alergies were in our heads… I WISH! Same as my onion allergy. Hate how every restaraunt I go to has red onions.

7. nevis smith says:

How do we get Gluten free food from you subway stores in Australia?
    I would eat them if I could find them.

8. sarina simpson says:

need them in fort wayne

9. Gail Haines says:

Have been quite impressed with the care Subway takes not to cross contaminate. And the final product is tasty. Gluten free is an option in Fort Worth Subway shops.

10. jessica says:

Florida? :) can’t wait!

11. Cheryl says:

Wow! So looking forward to trying this. How can I let them know we need this is Florida?

12. Charlene says:

I wish they’d do this in Canada. Although I couldn’t go into a subway without having a coughing fit because of the smell. sigh

13. Elana says:

Whens it coming to new York!!

14. Stacey says:

Can’t wait til they come to Virginia!

15. Carolyn says:

Have been asking for months now. When will they come to Little Rock, Arkansas? Can’t wait. They are just around the corner from me. Way to go Subway!

16. Nora says:

I still don’t think it will work if you have an allergy. I am glad to see more effort in the gluten free area but atlas i believe it won’t be 100% gluten free.

17. Maddie says:

I am concerned about cross contamination in the toppings. How do I know there are not any bread crumbs in it? I have seen Subway workers take extra off the sandwiches and put it back or to drop crumbs into the food after cutting sandwiches. As much as I wish this option was available in N AL, I am still very concerned it is truly gluten free.

18. karen schwichtenberg says:

I agree with Maddie & Nora. Subway should follow the great example of Jimmy John’s & have an entire separate area for preparation of G-F sandwiches. The toppings all need to be separate from the regular prep area. This is definitely a step in the right direction, Subway! I’m sure you’ll get it right. It’s a badly needed service. Then bring it to Fort Wayne!

19. Amy Meyer says:

C’mon south to San Antonio, Gluten-free Subway!

20. Diana Miller says:

How is this not in Los Angeles yet?! C’mon Subway!

21. Jennifer percival says:

Pleeeease bring some to your San Diego, Ca locations! I was just at one this past weekend asking if they were serving gf bread yet

22. Marlene Miller says:

PLEASE bring this to ALL your Subways!! PLEASE!!!

23. Lynn says:

“Buyer beware” My family & I tried a Subway in Portland when we were there last summer (my daughter has Celiac). She was so excited to have a GF Subway sandwich once again. Although they claim to be sensitive to cross contamination that was not our experience. They did not have a truly dedicated area, nor were the meats & cheeses protected. I could see bread crumbs all along the line, and between the containers w/condiments. The counter was not wiped down as Alicia Kelso claims. One person did do the entire sandwich, but Subway can no way claim they can provide a completely gluten free sandwich unless they change their gloves between each item they put on the glutened bread and/or provide dedicated containers. The gal who put the sandwich together was very careful and did a nice job. She did listen to my request as she put it together. I knew taking my daugher in to a sandwich shop is like walking through a minefield. We dodged it that day, but until Subway has their items separated from the regular sandwiches you are taking your chances. It was very much like going into a Jason’s Deli. The bread is available, but the environment is not gluten-free.

24. Antoinette Brown says:

I am cracking up over this article! I haven’t found a subway with gluten free rolls in my area, but the kicker is that I live very close to Buffalo, NY, where Rich’s is located. Go figure! I would love to be able to grab a subway when I’m on the go!

25. Kathy says:

I have enjoyed the gluten free sandwiches in the Portland area. However, I have encountered workers that do not understand why they need to pull meat or cheese from the bottom of the bin or get fresh product out of the cooler. I have also encountered a worker placing her gloves hands on top of crumbs on the production line. The bottom line is that in order to thoroughly enjoy your sandwich, you might need to remind workers of your need to be protected from bread crumbs. The gluten free sandwiches are yummy!

26. Sherry says:

Come to Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada we are only about 4 hours drive from Duluth,Mn

27. HotLanta says:

Please come to Atlanta soon!!! The GF community here is begging!

28. peggy allen says:

NEXT TIME WE HAVE A SUPERBOWL HERE AT INDIANAPOLIS, IN. I’D LIKE TO BE ABLE TO TELL PEOPLE WE HAVE A GLUTEN FREE OFFERING AT SUBWAY! SO I’m adding my when are coming?

29. Jeremy Jennings says:

Make Subway gluten-free at all locations and that way we have an additional restaurant to eat at when traveling.

30. Arlene Bell says:

Please bring gluten free locations to New Jersey! Better yet.. make all subways include gluten free options.. thank you!!!

31. Marlene Miller says:

Please provide gluten-free foods at subway locations in New jersey!!
    I would appreciate that

32. JKL says:

When will you bring gluten free sandwiches to Sioux falls??? I can’t wait!

33. Melissa says:

Any news on when Subway GF will come to S. FL? So many ppl are waiting_make ALL Subway GF!

34. Dalene says:

Our daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 8 years ago – and we were totally at sea! The Out Back group of restaurants, however, had gluten free already
    then, including their brownie. I just hope this spreads – her husband does the research ahead of every trip and Disney and college towns are always well-serviced with gluten free menues – and metropolitan areas are always better, as well. We live in small town Kansas with a Subway, but no gluten free.

35. Chris says:

How about the Washington DC area? It’s a huge market, lots of gluten free people here. Although we want it now cause its a long time coming. Tks so much to Subway for getting it right and making sure they do this right! Now if they can only talk to Dominos… lol.

36. lauren lewis says:

south texas please please please………

37. Kathleen says:

I’m waiting to see this in Florida (I live in Ocala). Why not offer this option everywhere? People who need GF food are everywhere…

38. Linda says:

Please offer the gluten free items in Red Bay Alabama!

39. Jen says:

Connecticut please!!

40. Natalie says:

come to Pittsburgh, Please!!

41. Lori says:

Can’t wait until you come tp Pennsylvania. I go to the local Subway now, but have to take my own GF bread. The Subway employees are always good about changing their gloves and using a clean wrapper and knife. Thanks Subway!

42. Laurie says:

Please bring GF buns to Ardmore OK!

43. Subway started a gluten free menu back in January 2011 and to this date they currently have this menu in about 900 locations in the US. These subway locations are located in Dallas and Tyler, Texas, Tacoma, Washington, and are now expanding to the areas of Duluth, Minnesota and Superior, Wisconsin.

44. Lisa says:

Please come to Minneapolis, MN! I love to eat at Subway, but need gluten-free bread!

45. betty says:

I’m not quite sure this will work for all subway’s. We are in a very small town and we have very little demand for this product. It seems it will be more of a hassle than it’s worth. As far as cross contamination goes. There are bread crumbs everywhere. I guess if it were me and I was allergic that bad to gluten, I wouldn’t take any chances. Our customer’s are very important to me, don’t get me wrong, but while busy sanitizing and decrumbing the whole place, many people will be waiting for the lunch. Just a thought. Hopefully it won’t be required.

46. T says:

I wish they would put more in the Pacific Northwest like Seattle, etc. The PNW has more MS and diseases caused by gluten and so we need more chains of easy eating. Not sure that Tacoma, WA is the best trial but there are bakeries and GF places in Seattle or on the Eastside like Bellevue. Tnanks for doing this, just hope it comes around us somewhere.

47. Meg says:

My son and are both gluten free and now twice Subway made our day – two different times. My son used to love Subway before he found out he was gluten intolerant. I used to eat there as well. We were on our way up to a trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness in Duluth a few weeks ago and made a fast food stop at Subway. I thought we would have to buy a salad and chips or pull out some bread for our canoe trip and we walked in and there was gluten free option. My son was in heaven and we both ordered a sandwich and split a brownie for dessert. Then, just this weekend, my son went with the guys up to a cabin outside of Ely, MN. I was worried as heck about him trying to do the diet for so long, but he bought food with him and then asked the guys to stop at a Subway on the way up in Cloquet and voila – they had the gluten free option. On the return trip, they stopped there again for dinner. Only downside at all was the Subway staff asked him on the return if he was really allergic to gluten (several times) and he kept saying yeah – don’t know why – maybe they didn’t want the extra hassle – seems very well set up and easy to accommodate. I was so thrilled the option was available to him on a trip. Yay Subway!!!

48. Cherilyn Harris says:

The staff has been pleasant about the extra time my gluten free orders take, are very clear in telling other staff a special order is on the way — and seem to really understand what they are doing. The bread really is better toasted — they usually tell me that before I ask. I intend to be a loyal customer.

49. Steve says:

Waiting for Subway to launch GF bread in Los Angeles..

Subway cannot ignore California

50. michelle says:

TONS OF CELIACS IN CALIFORNIA!!!!!!