Announcing the Be Udiful Recipe Contest Winners!
Udi’s Gluten Free Foods and Gluten Freeville are pleased to announce the winners of the Be Udiful Recipe Contest. A big thank you to all of those who entered! All of the finalists were in first place at some point in the week, so it began as a really close race! All of these are great recipes!!
Thanks to all 632 of you voted to decide the winners as well! We’re glad we didn’t have to make that decision between these great choices!
1st Place Winner:
Balsamic BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Prize: a case of Udi’s bagels, pizza crust, or breads each quarter for the rest of the year (3 total)
2nd Place Winner:
Udilicious Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding w/Vanilla Bean Sauce
Prize: a sample box of Udi’s baked goods each quarter for the rest of the year (3 total)
3rd Place Winner:
Raspberry Filled Granola Bars
Prize: a sample box of Udi’s granola each quarter for the rest of the year (3 total)
Balsamic BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches – 1st Place Winner
Chef: Jessica Meyer
From her blog: http://atxglutenfree.wordpress.com/2009/11/20/balsalmic-bbq-pulled-pork-sandwiches/
- Crock Pot!
- 3 lbs. pork tenderloin, this will feed an army
- 1/2-1 bottle of gluten-free BBQ sauce
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 softball size onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 box vegetable stock
- Heavily season the pork tenderloin on both sides with garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Place in slow cooker
- Coat the meat with oil, about 2 tablespoons
- Top with sliced onions
- Pour 1/2 a box of vegetable stock over the tenderloin, the meat should be slightly covered with liquid
- Cook on low for 6 hours
- Drain vegetable stock
- Shred the pork tenderloin with forks, it should easily fall apart
- Pour in balsamic vinegar and 1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce, you are welcome to use more.
- Serve with Udi’s gluten-free bread, toasted
Cinnamon Chocolate Pecan Bread Pudding
- 4 Large Egg Yolks
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2/3 Cup of Organic Sugar
- 3 Cups Vanilla Coconut Milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons gluten free vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- One 4 pack of Udi’s Cinnamon rolls, cut into 1 inch pieces and left out overnight to dry out
- 6 ounces of gluten free mini chocolate chips
- Unsalted butter for preparing the pan
- To make the custard, whisk the yolks, eggs, and half of the sugar together in a large bowl. In a medium sauces pan, whisk together the remaining sugar, milk, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg, then bring to a boil. While whisking the yolks constantly, gradually pour the milk mixture into the yolk mixture. Set aside.
- In a bowl, evenly toss the bread and 4 oz of chocolate together and then put into the buttered 8-cup gratin dish. Pour the custard over the bread. Stir the bread and chocolate pieces so the custard settles evenly in the pan. Cover slightly with foil and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F.
- Place the gratin dish in a larger baking pan and place on the rack. Pour enough hot water into the baking dish to reach halfway up the gratin dish. Bake the bread pudding until just set, but still wiggly, about 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven sprinkle with 1/4 cup each (or to taste) mini chocolate pieces and chopped pecans, snip corner of glaze packages and drizzle over the top of bread pudding. Let cool completely before serving.
Serve with gluten free vanilla ice cream.
Prosciutto Brie and Green Apple Panini
- 2 Slice of Udi’s White Bread
- 4 Slices of Prosciutto ham
- 4 Slices of Brie Cheese
- 1/4 Thinly sliced Green Apple
Grill sandwich on a flat grill or Panini grill.
Raspberry Filled Granola Bars – 3rd place winner
Chef: Julie Olsen
(from her blog: www.jujucake.blogspot.com)
- ¾ cup butter or Earth Balance Buttery Spread, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups gluten free flour blend*
- 1 ½ t. xantham gum
- ½ t. baking powder
- 1 ½ cups Udi’s granola
- 1 t. Almond or vanilla extract
- 1 cup raspberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together butter, sugar and extract.
- In a separate bowl, premix flour and baking powder.
- Add granola and mix.
- Add dry mixture to butter and sugar, mixing together to form a crumbly mixture
- Pat 2/3 of mixture into a baking pan (13 x 9 lined with parchment paper)
- Spread the raspberry preserves on top. Evenly sprinkle remaining 1/3 of crumble mixture over the jam.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Cool pan completely and cut into squares.
*Gluten Free Blend: 1.5 cup brown rice flour, 1.5 cup potato Flour, and one cup Tapioca starch. You can also use other already mixed GF flour blends.
Slammin’ Salmon Pizza
- 2 Udi’s pizza crusts
- olive oil, for misting
- 8 oz salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- ½ cup red bell pepper, minced
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Place salmon in a shallow metal baking dish and bake for 10 minutes, flipping once after 5 minutes of cooking. Set aside to cool. Do not turn off oven.
- While salmon is baking, place a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat and sauté garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, steam broccoli and red pepper for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- When salmon is cool enough to handle, break it into bite-sized chunks.
- Brush both crusts with the sautéed garlic in olive oil. Next, drop teaspoonfuls of cream cheese on top of each crust. Top with broccoli, red peppers, salmon, and cheddar cheese.
- Bake pizzas for 10 minutes or until cheddar cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.
- Sprinkle pizzas with fresh dill and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a green salad and enjoy!
Udilicious Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding with Vanilla Bean Sauce – 2nd place winner
Bread Pudding Ingredients:
- Two packages Udi’s Cinnamon Rolls, frosted with enclosed frosting
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (dry roasted, unsalted if available)
- 1 quart Shatto milk
- 6 Karbaumer eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1/3 cup Shatto butter, sliced
- Tear the cinnamon rolls into small pieces and place into a greased 9” x 13” casserole dish. (In the photo, I used a small casserole and a 9” x 9” so I could share with a neighbor.)
- Sprinkle the raisins and pecan pieces over the cinnamon roll pieces.
- Beat the milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla until well blended, then pour over the cinnamon rolls.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the butter and dot the top of the rolls with it. Place in oven and bake 45 to 50 minutes until it is set in the center and bubbling around the edges.
Vanilla Bean Sauce Ingredients:
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 T. light brown sugar
- 1 T. white rice flour
- 1 t. ground nutmeg
- 1 Karbaumer egg
- 2 T. Shatto butter
- 1 ¼ cups Shatto whole cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- Whisk all ingredients together and cover over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes, whisking constantly.
- The mixture will thicken considerably and even more after it cools.
- Sauce can be served either warm or at room temperature.
(I like the sauce on Udi’s lemon streusel muffins, too…if there is ever any leftover. )
Veggie Pizza with Pesto
- 1 Udi’s Pizza Crust
- 3 TBS Pre-made Pesto (or basil, garlic, olive oil in blender)
- 2 TBS Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 small roma tomato
- 2 TBS parmesan cheese
- Sauté 1 zucchini and 1/2 cup mushrooms in a pan with a little olive
- oil until tender, add 2 cloves chopped garlic at the very end (you don’t want to burn the garlic).
- Spread pesto over Udi’s Pizza crust.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over pesto sauce.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms and garlic over cheese. Add sliced roma tomato.
- Sprinkle with a little fresh grated parmesan cheese and bake according to Udi’s Pizza Crust package directions. (About 12 minutes at 450 degrees)
- Remove from oven and add fresh basil.