8 Tips for Going to College Gluten Free
Before you send your gluten free student off to college, here are some suggestions to make going to college gluten free slightly easier:
- Meet with the food services director and ask what accommodations are available to gluten free students and ask how many others are on the same diet
- Tour the cafeteria when it is in use and speak to the cooks about food preparation techniques and ask about their knowledge of cross-contamination
- If your college requires that you purchase a meal plan, but you realize early on that there is not much suitable for you to eat, ask if they will adapt the requirement for you.
- Invest in a good microwave and refrigerator for the dorm room. Just about all colleges allow these within their wattage guidelines.
- Check restaurants in the area online to find out all you can about gluten free options, then visit some of the most likely options and gather a collection of gluten free menus or options that your student can order. I just found a gluten free café that even delivers in my son’s college town!
- Visit the grocery stores nearby the school to scope out gluten free options. If your student has a couple of favorite GF items that you can get at home, but you don’t see in the store near the school, ask the manager if they will order a couple of things to begin carrying for you. They are often happy to do it!
- Mail lots of packages of gluten free goodies from home – especially around finals time!
- Move out of the dorm as soon as possible and get a place with a kitchen and a few simple GF recipes!