15 Fantástico Gluten Free Cinco de Mayo Recipes
The holiday of Cinco De Mayo, The 5th Of May, celebrates the victory of the Mexican militia over the French army at The Battle Of Puebla in 1862. In Mexico, it is a holiday celebrated mostly in the Mexican state of Puebla. Most American’s mistakenly think that Cinco de Mayo is Mexican Independence Day, but that day is September 16 and is widely celebrated in Mexico.
In the United States, Cinco de Mayo has come to symbolize a celebration of Mexican/American heritage, music and food.
For those on a gluten free diet, Mexican Food is indeed something to celebrate, not just on the 5th of May, but everyday, since many of the foods native to Mexico are naturally gluten free. For people like me, always looking for a reason for a celebration, this is certainly a good one!
Here is a tried and true collection of gluten free Mexican recipes that were submitted by YOU, the wonderful Chefs of Gluten Freeville, so they must be great! There were quite a few, so I decided to put them all in one place. Most of these can be made dairy free by substituting for dairy free cheese.
- Susan H’s Mexican chocolate brownies (gluten free)
- Pam Chick’s Simple Enchiladas (gluten free)
- Susan’s tacos (gluten free, can be dairy free)
- Ann Nicholson’s Terrific Taco Meat (plus kid-friendly pasta dish)
- Nancy’s Flan (gluten free)
- Chris’ Mexican Lasagna (gluten free)
- Trish’s Mexican Lasagna (gluten free, vegetarian)
- Lisa Renshaw’s Mexican Beef Rice and Bean Bake (gluten free, egg free)
- Barbara’s Mexican Casserole (gluten free)
- Melanie Hoffman’s Enchilada Sauce (gluten free)
- Brenda Vogsland’s Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Nancy’s Impossible Taco Pie (gluten free)
- Nancy’s Mexican Quiche (gluten free)
- Michael Sedano’s Mexican Guisado (Stew) (Gluten free, egg free, if dairy free cheese can be dairy free)
- Erin Swing’s Tortilla Española with Spicy Aioli (gluten free, vegetarian)